Happy HAPPY day! Anne Churchill, event planner extraordinaire, owner of Annabelle Events (and one of our Studio 107 partners in crime) married Wes Hanks at Les Bourgeois on a perfect May day. Since Anne is a wedding planner, you might expect that she would have some great ideas for planning her own wedding.
And you would be SO RIGHT! Together, Wes and Anne created the ideal day, for themselves AND for their guests. Case in point: baskets & a view of the blufftop from bean bags for the little ones!
Yep, for those of you dreaming about your own wedding day, you could certainly take a page out of Anne's "wedding planning" book. In fact, let's do just that! Let's take a WHOLE BUNCH of pages . . . like ten?! . . . out of her book. Here goes: our top 10 "Great Ideas from Anne & Wes for Creating an Awesome Wedding Day."
1: Getting ready! Anne found a relaxing and roomy space for her and bridesmaids to get ready: Mount Nebo Cottage, a light-filled historic B&B in Rocheport. It made for a retreat-like place to dress (perfect for lovely "getting ready" pictures), and doubled as a slumber party spot for Anne and her bridesmaids Friday night.
And Wes and his groomsmen? They dressed at Wes & Anne's house . . . all the comforts of home!
2: Private moment! Wes and Anne decided to meet up for the first time on their wedding day during a "private moment" at Mount Nebo. The cottage's shaded, landscaped patio was ideal for this. Wes & Anne's main reason? To eliminate the need for picture-taking time after the ceremony so they AND guests could move right into the reception. But the reason WE love "private moments"? The emotion! Take a look:
3: Time with loved ones! Wes & Anne made time in their wedding day itinerary to hang out with friends. It is surprising just how fast a wedding day flies by! Having a champagne toast at Mount Nebo let Anne & Wes enjoy time with a smaller group of close friends & family, added to the fun during wedding party photo time AND gave us photographers a chance to get un-posed, natural shots.
4. Fun with color! How sweet are these bridesmaid dresses?! Having different shades of blue added visual interest and gave Anne and Wes all sorts of creative freedom when choosing everything from decor to wedding stationery design.
5. Personalized and real! Anne and Wes share a love of wine that sparked a wedding design "theme". Centerpieces incorporated wine bottles and corks; the cake sat atop a barrel; escort cards were housed in a wooden box. Their theme was based on a real, shared interest, not a trendy, pinterest-inspired look & feel.
6. Professional & unique graphic design! Anne & Wes hired graphic designer, Kristen Brown, of Hoot Design Co., to create a "branded" look to the decor. Everything from save-the-dates to invitations, programs, menu cards, and hand calligraphy escort cards was custom-designed and consistent with Anne & Wes' wine-inspired theme.
7. Handcrafted touches! Anne's father-in-law built supports for a set of vintage wooden doors that provided a one-of-a-kind, lovely focal point for guests to "enter" the outdoor ceremony space. We all seemed to gravitate toward those doors throughout the day. Seeing Anne step over the threshold during the processional with one brother "ushering" her through while another escorted her on his arm was a powerful moment.
8. Combined ceremony + reception location! When ceremony and reception are both in one spot, there's no need for packing and unpacking, herding your wedding party or budgeting for travel time. Anne and Wes were able to settle in and enjoy a retreat-like day. No hustle and bustle. No hunting for car keys. Just put that lipstick in the pocket of your wedding dress (wedding dress pocket?! another tip from Anne!) and away you go!
9. Twinkle & glow! Strands of globe lights created atmospheric, cozy reception lighting that felt both intimate and festive.
10. Have the time of your life! It was a TRUE PLEASURE watching Anne & Wes enjoy their wedding day. Wes beamed all day long and was overheard saying "This is the BEST DAY EVER!" The key to a happy HAPPY day?! Anne & Wes didn't sweat the small stuff. They hired a team of vendors they trusted, delegated tasks to others and prioritized time spent with loved ones. And there you have it! Tips from a wedding planner who can now tell her brides she knows JUST how they feel!
Anne + Wes :: Columbia, MO
. . . . . . . . . . .
event planning •Annabelle Events
officiant • Judge Gary Oxenhandler
ceremony & reception • Les Bourgeois Vineyards, Blufftop Bistro
catering •Les Bourgeois Vineyards, Blufftop Bistro
hair & makeup •A.D.K. Designs
dress •Victoria's Bridal
men's suits •Men's Wearhouse
cake • Edith Hall Cakes
flowers • River City Florist
video • Jackson Videography
DJ• Aaron Rose
transportation • Columbia Party Bus
photographers • Kim Wade & Annika Miller, SilverBox Photographers
~kim & annika